A recent study in Australia concluded the following when WIFI and tablets were deployed to a 900 pupil school:
- increased independent and self-initiated learning among students
- increased student motivation and active engagement in learning
- improved teachers’ capacity to plan for and meet individual student needs
- improved student learning outcomes
- extended students’ learning beyond the classroom
- improved parental engagement in learning and strengthen home-school links.
Specifically with regards to Wi-Fi, the study showed that:
- High speed access to online information enables more self-directed learning and rapid access to a fast-growing market of relevant and regularly updated educational apps.
- Portability enhances collaboration between students and communication between students and teachers, increases parental engagement in learning and strengthens home-school connections.
- Students used the tablet to take greater control of their learning, using a single device to search for information on the internet, practise specific skills with selected apps, create multimedia presentations, and present and share their learning with their peers, teachers and family.